Pharamceutical Medical Affairs Lead in Oncology
London, United Kingdom
Entry Level | Full Time | Health Care Provider | Primary/Secondary, Education, Education Management, Human ResourcesRead More On LinkedIn
Medical Affairs is a critical bridge between R&D and the commercial organization to ensure that our medicines reach the appropriate patients. GSK has committed to building a new oncology business, with initial focus on selected EU markets. To this end, this is a critical role to ensure oncology resource and activities are aligned and deployed to business priorities in the EU region. Medical needs to build scientific expertise to provide greater insight and significant external presence to support entry in to the highly competitive Oncology space.
These changes require the establishment of a new accountable EU Oncology Medical Lead focused on a strategic asset, and who possesses strong leadership skills, demonstrated experience in navigating uncertainty, credibility and skills across pharmaceutical medicine and business acumen.
This is a regional medical leadership position for the Oncology Therapeutic area and aligned on to specific marketed or pipeline asset, reporting into the overall EU Oncology Medical Head. The incumbent will be accountable for providing the vision and leadership to ensure Medical Affairs excellence and to be a strategic scientific partner to both internal stakeholders and customers.
Accountable for ensuring the regional / Area medical organisation for the disease area has the right capabilities to deliver outstanding execution of plans, for performance management of the medical operational plan and evidence generation for the key markets in the region.
This role will represent the Europe Midsize and Cluster (EMC) Area in the regional medical team and appropriate commercial leadership teams and will be aligned primarily to driving execution in the non-priority markets in the EU region (the EMC markets). However, this role will also support the priority markets in the EU5 for strategy & operational plan development, product expertise, and performance reviews where appropriate.
Responsible for Medical Affairs Activities relating to the assigned products and disease area, (including field medical activities) in conjunction with the Regional Medical Directors, Area Medical Directors and Country Medical Directors as appropriate. Act as the medical partner to the Regional/ Area Therapeutic Commercial Organisation.
Ensures the medical voice of the customer and market is deeply understood, synthesised into medical insights and clearly translated into appropriate actions to enable appropriate use of our medicines for patients in the region.
Leads the development and execution of regionally and commercially aligned medical plans for the assigned medicines within the specific Therapeutic area. (S)he is accountable for medical plan development and strategic deployment of all medical resources to achieve joint objectives.
Oversee Phase IIIb/IV clinical development plans and Investigator-sponsored studies, for the assigned assets in the region/ Area by providing a consolidated regional perspective into long-term global clinical and value evidence strategies. Advocate for medical resources/data needed to support successful commercialization of products.
Lead the scientific and external engagement strategy for the asset/ disease area within the region. Support the countries in external scientific communications and evidence dissemination.
Maintains deep product and disease expertise on the medicine(s) and includes market and competitive knowledge in all medical plans.
Support the product specific training for Medical teams in the countries to deepen the product and scientific knowledge within the disease area.
Enable a performance driven culture with clear metrics and business improvement embedded into the organization and be accountable for metrics to measure and communicate asset-related Medical Affairs activities to demonstrate the value and achievements.
Be recognized as a trusted partner with commercial providing medical guidance and input and aligning and supporting promotional engagement strategy.
Accountable for Medical input and scrutiny into Launch excellence processes, Launch improvement workshops and LOC deep dives.
Qualifications & Experience
- Physician degree (or equivalent) with experience of oncology medical affairs
- Strong industry experience, spanning clinical development and medical affairs, with product launch experience.
- Commercialization experience with solid knowledge of drug development, safety, regulatory/ market access and reimbursement requirements demonstrating deep understanding of the Global markets.
- Strategic thinking, business acumen, effective matrix leadership, with proven ability to motivate, influence, negotiate, and collaborate; strong project management skills; solid planning and organizational skills; strong scientific/analytical problem-solving skills.
- Effective communication, influence, leadership and talent development.
- Experience of hematology/oncology medical affairs.
- Strong organizational, planning, and business acumen skills.
- Proven ability to interpret customer needs as well as negotiation and influence skills.
- Flexibility and ability to adjust to changing timelines and priorities.
- Ability to produce concise and simple summaries of concepts and solutions.
- Ability to cope under pressure with sometimes conflicting priorities.
- Ability to prioritize business needs and flexibility to address them when business appropriate.
- Ability to work with new technology and in the digital space.
- Proven ability to deliver effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management and scientific audiences using original or innovative techniques or style.
Download the ebook for tips and tricks to help you thrive in alternative non-clinical careers such as Pharma. Designed to help when applying for non-clinical roles; it will give you confidence that you can succeed, knowledge to analyse skills & optimise them for positions, advice to 'nail' selection processes & to adapt in your new career.
Take part in our interactive webinar to help you nail the application and interview stage. Give yourself all the tools necessary to showcase your medical talents in these non-clinical areas.
Contact us for any advice or let us know how you went on in the application or interview stage. Did our advice help in anyway?
Join Our Community
Interested in career options outside the NHS? Join our community to be the first to know about exciting events, workshops, free webinars and career opportunities. Don’t miss out – start your progress towards a new, exciting career Beyond the Ward today.Contact Us Today & Start Looking To A New Career!
Signup For Our Newsletter
For all our latest offers and deals be sure to sign up for our monthly newsletter. Don't miss out on great opportunities with Beyond The Ward.